YLD (21/09/05) – We obey God by loving our families
YLD Topic: We obey God by loving our families
Scripture: Exodus 20:12-14
The Ten Commandments are like our spiritual GPS, which gives us direction to our destination and warns us if we made the wrong turn.
The Ten Commandments are addressed to Israelites in the OT times and also apply to us today. It gives us direction on how to live our lives and is something true at all times.
The first four of the Ten Commandments are to do our relationship with God.
Then the commandments of five, six, and seven are to do with our relationship with others.
12 “Honour your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
13 “You shall not murder.
14 “You shall not commit adultery.
Are you wondering why God would give us these three commandments?
- God wants us to treat people with kindness, love, and respect, which sums up in these three commandments. And family is the best place to put this into practice.
- When we aren’t kind, loving, and respectful, it’s hurtful to everyone. Are we overcome evil with good?
- God wants us to show His character. To love people the way that God loves us.
“You shall not murder.”
One notable fact is in Exodus 20:13, Moses told us not to murder, but in Matt 5:21-24, Jesus gave us a further explanation why this commandment is made.
- Here Jesus taught us not to get worked up easily. When we become angry enough to murder, then we have already committed murder in our hearts. God is not only looking into our actions but also our hearts. Our thoughts often become our actions.
“You shall not commit adultery.”
Also, God wants us to be faithful in our marriage; keeps our promise to others. Do not cheat and be honest.
It is not easy to show love, but what does God want us to do about it?
To love our families and people around us all the times
- 1. When we love our families, we show them love, kindness, and respect
- Just like we honour our parents by showing love and respect to them
- 2. Not hurting others – Show kindness even they don’t deserve it
- 3. Keeping our promises – just like we shall not commit adultery, do not cheat and be faithful
Paul wrote a letter to the young Christian in Thessalonica to encourage them and praise them for their faithful work. Keep doing it even it is not easy. They keep showing love to others because their enduring hope is in Jesus. (1 Thess 1:3)
Family is the first place where we learn to manage our emotions, interact with others, and communicate.
- Start children off on the way they should go,
and even when they are old, they will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
Be creative; there are many ways we can show love to our families and people around us.
Let us keep doing it. God loves each of our family, and we can do the same for others, just like Jesus.