YLD (21/08/08) – Seek God first in all circumstances
YLD Topic: Seek God first in all circumstances
Do not put your trust in princes,
in human beings, who cannot save.
When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.
Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord their God. (Psalm 146:3-5)
Whom do you seek when you are in trouble?
Are you putting your faith in man or in God?
King Asa seeks God first
- He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord
- King Awa’s heart was fully committed to the Lord
- Zerah the leader of the Ethiopians came to attack King Asa and the kingdom of Judah
- King Asa sought God’s help when he faced the Ethiopian army
- He knew that he was powerless against the enemy. God gave victory to King Asa who was fully relied on Him
King Asa puts his trust in man
- Instead of remembering God’s victory over the Ethiopians, Asa faced the difficulty with Baasha King of Israel differently
- Asa did not pray for God’s help
- He used his own wisdom and bribed Ben-Hadad King of Aram to help him
- Ben-Hadad helped Asa but God was not pleased that he had put his trust in man instead of the Lord (Jeremiah 17:5)
God corrects Asa’s sin through His prophet Hanani.
Our response to God’s correction is to repent and go in the right direction that Go wants us to go.
Instead of getting angry when you are corrected, humbly accept it and trust that God wants the best for you
Asa gets a disease that affects his feet
Once again he puts his trust in man and seeks the help of doctors instead of seeking God first
Asa’s actions displeased God because he put his faith in doctors and didn’t ask God for help
When we sin and God corrects us, we can experience forgiveness when we repent.
How will you choose to live your life?
Where would you put you faith in?