YLD (21/05/02) – All that History
All that History
Scripture: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
Twelve books of History
- The books of History begin from the book of Joshua, all the way to the book of Esther. They covered 1000 years of History of Israel.
- Joshua was the leader after Moses
- He led the people into the Promised Land.
- He conquered God’s enemies, and the people settled down to live in peace, but Joshua warned them to stick close to God.
- Judges tells the story of men and women God used to save the Israelites from their enemies.
- When the people forgot God, their enemies would attack.
- God would use heroes like Deborah and Gideon to save them.
- Ruth is a sweet story of a woman who left her home and family to live with the ageing mother-in-law. Ruth was loyal to Naomi, her dead husband’s mother, and God blessed Ruth for her faithfulness.
Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles
- These books tell the stories of Israel’s kings
- They start with mighty King Saul and the faithful King David
- As the years went by, the kings became corrupt.
Ezra and Nehemiah
- The people asked God’s forgiveness, and he answered.
- Ezra and Nehemiah were two men who brought the people home
- They helped to secure the Promised Land and make it safe for the people to come home.
- Esther, the queen of Persia who was also an Israelite.
- She was in the right place at the right time to speak up and save her people
- Esther was obedient, and God used her to save his people
The history books seem to tell the story over and over.
The Israelites forgot God. Their enemies attacked.
They cried out to God, and God saved them.
God shows us in history that there is a punishment for sin, but he also shows us that he forgives. Let us serve like Joshua, no matter where he is; he and his family will serve the Lord.