YLD (21/04/25) – The narrow gate
YLD Topic: The narrow gate
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” (Matt 7:13-14)
Life is a journey
- Every day of your life, you are taken steps toward your journey
- The day you were born, you began a journey to grow up
- The way to the Kingdom of Heaven is through the small gate and down the narrow path
Large gate and small gate
- There is a large gate that opens to a wide road and you could do anything that your heart desires
- The wide road looks attractive; many people go there
- However, it is the way of death
- There is another small gate and far less appealing which leads to a narrow road
- The narrow road is sometimes lonely and often challenging, only a few find it
- Jesus warns, “Enter through the narrow gate” as it leads to life
- As the traveller moves toward what seems to be the better path, he remembers what Jesus said.
- “I am the way the truth and the life. No man can come to the Father except through me!
- The way of life and way of death are before you. Choose wisely!
- Just like every bus has a specific route. If we don’t pay attention to a bus’s specific route, we could end up going in the opposite direction of our destination
- So we have to be careful which way we are choosing
Self-indulgent versus self-denial
- From where the traveler stands, the broader road appears far more attractive because of its many self-indulgent options – do what you want and enjoy the pleasure
- For the narrow road, you learn to deny yourself, placing God and others first
- Along the narrow path, the traveler will be changed
- His heart will be made pure and his eyes will see God
Jesus is our Savior
- The narrow path leads us to Jesus; He died for our sins
- He was buried, and He was raised on the third day
- Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved!