YLD (21/01/31) – Your choice: Choose to live in the light or darkness
Light and darkness
1) Light shines in and makes us beautiful (Matt 5:16)
2) Darkness – we are lost because we can’t see where we are it
• A lot times, when we are in darkness, it makes us anxious, lonely and scare
Holy Spirit is like a light
Who gave Paul the power to teach boldly?
Holy Spirit helps us to understand what God’s Word is about and apply it
– Holy Spirit points people to Jesus
– 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26)
People who chose light are those who have Jesus in them
Paul was in Ephesus
– Holy Spirit performed miracles through Paul so that people could see God’s power
– Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were copying Paul’s action but failed to get the evil Spirit out (V14)
o The evil Spirit does not obey anyone who doesn’t have Jesus in them
– Do you have an intimate relationship with God?
o Do you talk to God when you are happy, when you are sad, when you are hurt? When you are feeling annoyed? Did you cry out to God when you feel like your world is falling apart?
People who chose darkness are those who live by their selfish desires
– The seven sons of Sceva wanted power and fame to make themselves known or benefit themselves
– For those who want to do whatever they want or follow their own selfish desires instead of loving God is walking in darkness
Sin traps us in darkness: What is sin?
o When we failed to love God and others is Sin
o When we separate from God, we choose our own way to define what is good or bad for ourselves.
o Sin is not just doing bad things, it describes how we easily trick ourselves by redefining our bad decision as good
Holy Spirit points us to God
The Holy Spirit gave the people of Ephesus light so they could be rescued form the darkness of sin and come to the light of the World, Jesus.
Today you have heard God’s Word taught.
If you choose to agree with the truth you will be walking in God’s light. If you choose to reject the truth you will continue to walk in the darkness of sin.